Percents in Forty days eBook
This is a eBook in pdf form. It will work on both Mac and PCs.
It has two versions, one for the teacher with answers and one for the student without answers.
Please read full description below. (Ideally you should do the Fractions book first.)
In this book, we bring this time-honored approach to help your child become proficient with decimals and percents. (This book follows the Verbal Fractions book.) Often children can do the mechanics of percents and but do not have a real understanding.
This book with give your child that understanding, and we make it possible without hand writing. All problems are to be done mentally. The questions are to be read to the child. The answers are there for you, the teacher, only.
Follow the lessons and see your child do even complex-looking problems quickly and accurately. All without pencil or paper. When time comes to learn algebra, your child will be miles ahead of his or her peers.
Here is an example of the type of problem your child will be able to do quickly by the end of this course, without any
figuring on paper.
Mr. Brown sold his motorcycle so that 75% of what he paid for it was equal to 60% of the selling price. Did he gain or lose, and what percent?
Looks hard, doesn’t it? Down right scary for most people. But after doing a few of the lessons in this book, you will see how solving such tough looking problems can indeed be done with ease.
1. You must start this course at lesson one, even if the problems seem simple. We suggest that student complete the Verbal Fractions book before tackling this course.
2. The student should be familiar with decimals. This book in not intended to teach decimals but should be used for skill building, such as speed and fluency with commonly used facts.
3. This course requires a teacher or parent to work with the student. Problems should be read to the student. The first few problems in each chapter should be explained to the student. You may need to guide the student, helping as needed with difficult problems, and using the solutions and methods given in the book. The answers are there for you. (If you feel it is necessary to give your student a copy of the problems, this book - without the answers - is available for purchase in eBook form at our website.)
4. All of these problems can be done mentally. When you read the problem to the child, he or she may write down the numbers but all calculations should be done mentally.
5. Follow the method that is given at the beginning of each lesson. Most problems have solutions which should be explained to the child if she has difficulty.
6. The problems get more difficult towards the end of the book. The student will not be able to do the problems in the later chapters quickly until he or she has done the preceding ones.
7. Subordinate speed to accuracy, but do not neglect speed. The ability to answer these problems quickly results in mastery of the concepts.
8. The course is suitable for children in 6th to 8th grades and above depending on the child’s ability with arithmetic. It is also highly helpful for students about to take the SAT. Many of the problems given here are the type that are seen on SAT exams.
9. Older children and even adults may want to go through the course to refresh their skills with computing percentages quickly. Please let us know how this book works for you.
ContentsLesson 1 - From Factions to Decimal 8
Lesson 2 - Multiplying Decimals 13
Lesson 3 - Dividing Decimals 16
Lesson 4 - Rounding and Comparing Decimal Numbers 19
Lesson 5 - Converting Decimals to Fractions 21
Lesson 6 - Proportions and Fractions 24
Lesson 7 - Decimal Operations 28
Lesson 8 - Dividing Decimals 30
Lesson 9 - Mixed Operations with Decimal Numbers 32
Lesson 10 - Percents 35
Lesson 11 - Finding Percent of a Number (50%, 25%, 12.5%) 38
Lesson 12 - Finding Percent of a Number (33.33%, 66.667%) 42
Lesson 13 - Finding Percent of a Number (100%, 1%, 10%) 45
Lesson 14 - Finding Percent of a Number (less than 10%) 48
Lesson 15 - Finding Percent of a Number 51
Lesson 16 - Percents and Fractions 55
Lesson 17 - Percent Left 58
Lesson 18 - A Number Increased by a Percent 61
Lesson 19 - Decreasing by a Percent 66
Lesson 20 - Finding Percent of a Percent 70
Lesson 21 - Finding Percent Increase or Decrease of a Number 73
Lesson 22 - Adding and Subtracting Percents 78
Lesson 23 - Product of Fractions and Percents 80
Lesson 24 - Estimating Percentage 82
Lesson 25 - Calculating Percentage by Parts 88
Lesson 26 - Discount and Markup 90
Lesson 27 - Base and Rate 97
Lesson 28 - More Gains and Losses 102
Lesson 29 - Find the Base 107
Lesson 30 - Computing Interest 113
Lesson 31 - Find the Amount 117
Lesson 32 - Find the Principal 120
Lesson 33 - Increase in Principal 125
Lesson 34 - Find the Time 127
Lesson 35 - Mixed Problems 130
Lesson 36 - Even More Mixed Problems
List Price: $14.95
Fractions in Forty Days eBook
Fractions in your head, is that even possible? Yes it is. And we will show you how in this little book.
There are 42 lessons in this book. Just do one lesson per day, and you will see magic happen in just 40 days or maybe even sooner. Each lessons takes about 30 minutes and can be done with any writing.
Fractions is the first topic where the education system first fails the students in math education. Children who for some reason don’t “get” fractions, are forever left behind. School systems do not pay adequate attention to making sure that each and every student is completely proficient in Fractions. Hence your student may have moved on without a total understanding or mastery of fractions as a topic. This is not good at all, as this little misstep dooms the child to forever fall behind in math.
If your student is about to enter sixth grade or is in higher grades but seems to have trouble with math, you must make sure that she/he has mastered fractions. If your student is about to take PSAT or the SAT exams and is unsure about his or her math skills, this book will help her to feel confident and be able to do tricky-looking word problems quickly in her head.
Majority of the SAT problems involve fraction manipulations. Your child has probably been taught other slower methods of doing fractions in school, we will teach him faster methods of doing these types of problems. Time is of the essence for Math part of the SAT, and doing problems the long drawn out, algorithmic way, as taught in schools, just takes too long.
In this book, we give you a time-proven and superior method for giving your student a head-start, an advantage that she or he will retain for the rest of his/her life. She will develop confidence in her ability to understand and do complex looking problems, such as the one given below, quickly and in her head.
The distance from Paoli to Christiana is 24 miles, and (2/3) of this distance is (4/5) of the distance from Christiana to Lancaster. What is the distance to Lancaster?
The book comes in two versions, the teacher version, contains the questions and the answers. This version is for you, the teacher. The student version has only the questions and no answers, and this is for your student. Both are included in this pdf version.
1. You must start this course at lesson one, even if the problems seem very simple to your child.
2. This course requires a teacher or parent to work with the student. Problems must be read to the student. You may need to guide the student, helping as needed with difficult problems, and using the solutions and methods given in the book. The answers are there just for you. (If you feel it necessary to give your student a copy of the problems, this book-without the answers-is available for purchase in eBook form at our website or at Amazon.com.)
3. All of these problems can be done mentally. When you read the problem to the child, he or she may write down the numbers but all calculations should be done mentally.
4. Follow the method that is given at the beginning of each lesson. The solutions given should be explained to the student if she has difficulty.
5. Most students can easily do half a lesson a day. Some longer lessons can be spread over a week. The problems do appear more difficult towards the end of the book, but are not if previous lessons are completed diligently.
6. Subordinate speed to accuracy, but do not neglect speed. The ability to answer these problems quickly results in mastery of the concepts. Always pay attention to how quickly the student can answer the question.
7. The course is suitable for students in 4th-6th grades and above depending on the child’s ability with arithmetic.
8. Older students who are not confident with fractions or weak in algebra will benefit from this course as well. College entrance exams often have problems of this type on the tests. This book is an excellent refresher course for boosting math scores in standardized tests.
9. This course is also excellent for an older adult who may be suffering from cognitive decline or feels that his/her mental calculation skills have weakened.
10. If your student has difficulty with understanding or retaining these problem by just listening to the numbers, please consider buying the Verbal Fractions Student Copy, without the answers. The student can then have his own copy but of course without the answers or the solutions. It is available both in PDF and eBook formats. For pdf version, go to our website.
11. After you have done approximately two-thirds of this book, please consider starting the companion book on Percents.
12. Last two chapters are indeed difficult for many students and are not necessary for proficiency.
See sample file on this page.
Table of Contents
Lesson one-Halves, Thirds, and Fourths
Lesson 2 - Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh
Lesson 3 - Eighths and Ninths
Lesson 4 - Addition, Subtraction
Lesson 5 - Rates
Lesson 6 - Rates to Fractions
Lesson 7 - Reducing Fractions
Lesson 8 - Number Analysis
Lesson 9 - Arithmetic Analysis
Lesson 10 - Relationship of Numbers
Lesson 11 - Fraction as Part of a Number
Lesson 12 - Properties of Numbers
Lesson 13 - Unit Values
Lesson 14 - Numbers to Fractions
Lesson 15 - Fractions to Numbers
Lesson 16 - Reduction to Higher Terms
Lesson 17 - Reduction to Lower Terms
Lesson 18 - Simple and Mixed Fractions
Lesson 19 - Addition of Fractions
Lesson 20 - Subtraction of Fractions
Lesson 21 - Product of Fractions and Numbers
Lesson 22 - Multiplication of Fractions
Lesson 23 - Multiplication of Numbers and Fractions
Lesson 24 - Division of Fractions
Lesson 25 - Proportions and Fractions
Lesson 26 - Fraction Operations
Lesson 27 - Given the Sum of Parts
Lesson 28 - Difference of Parts
Lesson 29 - Increasing or Reducing by a Fraction
Lesson 30 - One Part More or Less Than Another
Lesson 31 - One Part a Number of Times Another
Lesson 32 - One Part a Given Number More Than Another
Lesson 33 - Multiple of Fractions
Lesson 34 - The Proportional Parts
Lesson 35 - Compound Proportions
Lesson 36 - Sharing Problems
Lesson 37 - Bigger and Equal Number
Lesson 38 - Rate Problems
Lesson 39 - Combination Problems
Lesson 40 - Mixed Problems
Lesson 41 - Time Problems
Lesson 42 - Age Problems